Monday, 20 August 2012

Psalm 23: Verse 1

“The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want”

There is pure beauty in the opening verse of this wonderful psalm; there is also a humble confidence in the relationship between sheep and shepherd. David, the writer had in his youth kept sheep for his father Jesse and as such was well placed to write about the shepherd-sheep relationship he had with God. His understanding of the requirements as well as the position of both sheep and shepherd in this relationship is important.

Ownership Relationship:
The popular hymn “I am Thine O Lord, I have heard Thy voice...” clearly expresses that God owns us (psalm 24:1 “The earth is the Lord’s and its fullness thereof...”). However, this verse of psalm 23 talks about David’s “ownership” of God, his Shepherd - looking at the relationship from the eyes of the sheep. (Psalm 67: 6 –NKJV “God, our own God, shall bless us” is another example of this special dual ownership relationship)

I am a son to my father and now a father to my sons and I have witnessed the beauty of a father-son relationship from both sides. The dual and mutual ownership between God and Man is a wisdom key to the operation of this most powerful relationship. Therefore, when your inner man cries out to God, identifying Him as “Jehovah Rohi” – “my Shepherd”, you activate the power of love from the shepherd to the sheep – the same all-encompassing, unconditional love that saw Him offer His life as ransom (John 10:11)

The Sheep:
Isaiah 53:6
says “We all, like sheep, have gone astray”. It is important to remember that sheep are completely dependent on their shepherd for direction, support and protection. Being under the covering of Jesus, pulls us back from whatever trouble the world may throw at us, saves us from the plans of the evil one and sometimes even saves us from ourselves!

The Shepherd:
The attributes of a shepherd are central to the character of Jesus. The shepherd knows all his sheep, serves as their eyes when they cannot see, seeks out sustenance for them, protects them from the wolf and other perils, loves them, tends them, disciplines them, and dedicates himself to them.

Jesus, being one with the Father and the Holy Spirit – is in all things omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent – meaning all we require to fulfil the purpose for which we were created can be found in Him. He knows our needs before we are aware of them and meets them at the right moment.

Affirmation:
It is crucial to note that David was not being hopeful of the strength or nature of his relationship with God. “The Lord IS...” shows forth as a powerful affirmation of something he is in no doubt of. It is with the same affirmative intent and outlook, that he declares confidently that – because of this great relationship – he lacked nothing!

In like manner, I fully depend on Jehovah Rohi for everything. I know that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). In doing so, I find that I have everything I need. Most especially, I have the full understanding that my life does not consist in the “things” that I possess, but that I will live on every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Friends, this is a wonderful position to be in. It is a liberating position, one where I know that I am secured by the will of God who created the heavens and the earth.

The contentment I have in the provision of God is not one that dampens my drive to continue working in purpose; it is not the crutch of a man not willing to work; it is the realization that I am covered – in all situations. It is the realization that in health, soundness of mind, purpose, ideas, skills, finance, family, career and ministry – I simply do not, cannot and will not lack anything.

Many of you reading this will know exactly what I write of, if you do not – I promise you that your life can be this way too. Paraphrasing Jesus...”The birds of the air neither sow nor reap – yet He feeds them; the lilies of the fields neither labour nor spin – yet they are arraigned in beauty...”

Remember, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived, what God has prepared for those who love Him...” (1 Cor. 2:9)
  • Assess your relationship with God today...
  • Take up the sheep position...
  • Make the kingdom and its righteousness your priority...
... and you shall not want for anything...

Yomi Odukoya

No comments:

Post a Comment